In Uganda, Gorilla trekking is carried out from Bwindi Impenetrable national park and Mgahinga National Park. In these parks, one should expect to find different gorilla families which are well habituated for visitors to track. Bwindi has the highest number of gorillas compared to Mgahinga and this is the reason why it records the highest number of visitors. A client is required to obtain a gorilla trekking permit which goes for USD600 and it issued by the Uganda Wildlife Authority. This permit is issued per person per day and it specifies the gorilla family to trek. A trek in Bwindi and Mgahinga takes 20minutes to three quarters of the day deepening on the gorilla family. It should also be noted that the maximum time a tourist is allowed to spend with the gorillas is one hour.
In rwanda, gorilla trekking is the leading tourism activity attracting people from different countries in the world. The activity can only be carried out in the tropical rain-forests of Volcanoes National Park which is about 80km from Kigali, Rwanda’s capital city. The park is estimated to harbor about 350 mountain gorillas and these are easily seen on a walk through the thick forests covered with different tree species. Just like Uganda, a tourist is expected to obtain a trekking permit and this costs USD750.
Gorilla trekking in Democratic Republic of Congo is another life-changing experience full of unforgettable moments. In DRC, gorilla trekking is carried out in Virunga National Park which is estimated to be home to over 200 mountain gorillas. Although its challenging to access the park from Goma, the capital city of DRC, there is an alternative route from Kigali to the boarder in Goma. This takes about three hours and it is not as stressing as that from Goma.
Before going for a gorilla trekking safari to Uganda, Rwanda and DRC, there are some things that a tourist should put into consideration and there are;-
- Timing of the trip: before one thinks of travelling for as trek tour, he/she should consider the time of travel. The best time to go for a gorilla trekking trip is during the dry season. This is because the routes in the different national parks where the primates can be tracked are dry enough and not slippery.
- Things to carry: While packing for the trip, there are certain things that should not miss in your travel bag. These include suitable clothes for trekking like long pants, gloves, sunglasses and big shoes suitable for the activity.
- Gorilla family to visit. This is important especially if a client is interested in a Uganda gorilla trekking safari. A gorilla permit in Uganda should specify the specific gorilla family one is to visit and this is very important. This is different from Rwanda and DRC where a permit allows a visitor to trek any gorilla family in the park.
- Tour Company to use: It is always important for a client to use a credible tour company like us if it comes to an adventurous gorilla tracking experience and therefore one should take time and choose the best company.
- Health: Tracking the gorillas involves use of energy and one should ensure that he/she is physically fit. In most cases, the trek involves climbing and penetrating thick forest and this calls for some energy. Another reason is that mountain gorillas can be affected by some human diseases and therefore a tourist who is sick is not allowed to go near them.